Notify 811 before you dig or move earth in any way. This free service will arrange for your FirstEnergy electric company and other 811 member utilities to locate and mark their underground lines so you can dig a safe distance away from them.
Dial 811 or use the online ticket-entry system, then wait your state’s required time for facility owners to mark their lines before you dig:
- In Ohio, wait at least 48 hours, excluding weekends and legal holidays.
- In Pennsylvania and New York, wait at least 2 business days, not including the date the ticket was created, weekends, and holidays.
- In New Jersey, wait no less than 3 full business days, excluding weekends and federal or state legal holidays.
- In West Virginia, wait at least 48 hours, excluding weekends and federal or state legal holidays.
- In Maryland, wait at least 2 full business days, excluding the date of notification, weekends, and legal holidays.
Pre-mark your proposed excavation area with white paint, flags, and/or stakes before you contact 811.
Wait for utilities to be marked before digging. Once utilities are marked, respect the marks, hand expose to verify location, and dig with care.
Always contact your state 811 center before digging and for the most current requirements.
Notify 811 well ahead of digging, so underground utilities can be marked and you can work safely.